Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Wee bit update

Tuesday, after one o’clock in the afternoon and I’m still waiting for Bill to pick me up. Knew he was going to be a bit later this morning, but if I knew it would be after lunch I definitely would have taken the bus. ‘Cause this waiting is quite boring to be honest. Can’t really do anything, as he can show up every minute. Did some cleaning…stupid fool I am. Gave up on asking to put the dishes away, keeping the kitchen and the bathroom more or less tidy…much easier to do it myself.

Tuesday so, still a bit tired from the weekend. Was a great one. Not all as planned, but definitely worthwhile. I went to Galway with Ruth, a Spanish friend. EVS as well. Am going to miss her when she leaves in three weeks, that’s for sure. One of the disadvantages of living abroad and meeting other foreigners I’m afraid is to have saying goodbye all the time to friends going back home.

Galway so. But first there was the posh work dinner. In Green’s, one of the best restaurants of Cork. Arrived around eight o’clock. Went for the Irish look that night: hair straightened, black low cut top and black trousers. The only thing missing were the high heels…have a big shoe issue…spend many an hour looking for new winter shoes, but so far without success. Still wearing the same shoes as eight years ago…Problem is that sole is all worn out and when it rains I always end up with my socks soaked.

After a drink before, we got seats at one of the tables. Next to a South-African guy, near to Ruth and facing my boss. Dinner was an eye-opener. The “energy” people in Ireland are quite good craic. This dinner was far from boring. The food was great as well. Although I did make a wrong decision regarding the main course. I never ever had duck before in my life and so wanted to give that a try…turned out to be a HUGE casserole with not only duck, but also pork and…sausages. An overdose meat so. Didn’t even finish a quarter of it. Although it did taste all right. Dessert was very nice, but didn’t manage to finish that either. Beside a “shoe”-issue, I do have a “weight”-issue as well. Went to the hairdresser last week and promised my family to send some pictures of my new look over, but euh…they’ll have to wait a while, ‘cause I just can’t face their comments on how much weight I gained over here last weeks (don’t really know why, but assume that happiness makes me eat more). I am working on it anyway…sit-ups every night, weightlifting…give me two weeks and I’m back to normal. Anyway…that’s the reason why I didn’t finish my dessert so. Tried the wine, a huge risk as I never know if I’ll get an allergic reaction of it or not –especially embarrassing on events like this- but nothing strange happened so enjoyed that anyway. Think we were ready to leave the restaurant around eleven. Wanted to meet up with some friends in town, but went for a drink with Alex, the boss first. Ruth asked her boss if it was safe enough to go out with Alex and Seamus just said something like “it’s all right Ruth, but drink very, very slow”. Nice lesson. Went to the Bodega, where Alex was supposed to meet up with eight other country side boys. Was a bit weird. Oh yes, Alex told me before that he considered it as his task for the coming two months to find me an Irish husband…he he…I guess that was his first move in the whole mission…But we didn’t stay too long as there was another guy somewhere in town waiting for me. And wanted to meet up with my housemates as well. So as soon as we got the chance, we sneaked off and headed to Preachers. Only stayed there for about an hour, as Tracy had to work next day and the lads had to catch a plane early on Saturday morning. Back on the street at one o’clock so. If we would have been mature enough at that moment, Ruth and I would have joined Tracy back home, as we as well had to get up early to catch the 7.25 bus to Galway. But some of the Energy people were still in The Savoy. So that’s where we went to instead. First time I paid to get into a night club, but it was worth it. Somehow, Emma and Françoise managed to get the VIP room for themselves, which was handy enough. After the wine and a couple of beers, I was brave enough to get on the dance floor, where we stayed for the next hour or so…till closing time was there of course. Within fifteen minutes we’re standing outside again, and as everything was just closed Ruth and I walked home (euh…after passing the chippers of course). It was after three before we were home, so we wisely decided to aim for the 8.25 instead of the 7.25 bus. Which we did indeed.

…Bill just rang…it’s nearly two o’clock now and I’ll have to go to the office for a couple of hours…shit…well, and least I can post this first update so…’cause I got some bad feedback from family that there are too many gaps…euh…think especially my twinsister is a bit dissapointed I never wrote about their visit to Ireland…I plead guilty….

No comments: