Monday, July 18, 2005

Andrea Boccelli

Fear not…I didn’t go to see him….although he did come to Cork last Friday. He was performing in Collin’s Barracks, a military domain just behind the corner. Jazus, you should have been there. It was like there was a major bomb alert. The whole area was blocked, no cars were allowed between five and twelve in the evening. Gardai on every corner…a helicopter passing every ten minutes….Fecking madness. For a concert, I mean. And two miles away, at one of the busiest crossroads of Cork, the traffic lights were out of order. On a Friday evening, at rush hour. No gardai there. Probably all too busy making sure that the Italian singer got to Collin’s Barracks safely. Just wondering what makes Andrea so special he needs to disorder the whole town on a Friday night. Does he have something, Nick Cave, Van Morrison, Diana Ross or Brian Wilson don’t have, when they performed at The Marquee (just a tent on the banks of the Lee, no domain surrounded by concrete walls and barbed wire).

Saskia

Ps: I played the lotto for the first time in my live. Euromillionairs…I was 200% positive it was me going to win the 81 million euro….sigh…not.

No comments: