Monday, March 07, 2005

Fourth Irish Sunday

The fourth Sunday I spend in Ireland is nearly finished. Another great day it was. Think it was nearly fifteen degrees, no wind, blue sky and loads of sunshine. Just can’t get over it. This is the fourth time that I’m in Ireland and despite all the ‘bad weather warnings’, I always had pretty good weather. Am starting to believe that it is just me. Because so far, the weather gods are definitely with me.

Julia and I went to Killarney today. It’s a funny thing, those Sunday trips. I stay in bed late, take my time to shower, have breakfast and than there is Julia proposing to drive somewhere. Killarney it was today. As she has some serious troubles with her hips and back, she most of time stays in the car. To enjoy her music and read a bit in the biography of Bill Clinton she got from her son Michael. So she just dropped me of at one of the entrances of Killarney National Park. Up to me to discover and explore. Reminds me always of my previous holidays in Ireland, travelling on my own through the country. And especially when the sun is shining as it was today, it isn’t hard to get in a holiday mood. It was really a pity I didn’t had a camera. Last weekend I borrowed the one from my office. But didn’t think about it this weekend. A shame. Killarney National Park is just amazing. Impressive. Walked to the waterfall. Nice walk. I only spend a short time in Killarney today, but I’m definitely coming back during the holidays. There is a nice hiking and cycling path around Kerry (the Ring of Kerry it’s called) and I definitely want to check it out. So if someone of you guys felt called to accompany me on a ‘couple-of-days-hiking-trip’, know you’re definitely welcome.

I have other big news for you all. Finally found a place to live in Cork City Centre. It’s a house about ten minutes outside the city centre. On a hill. I have to share it with four other people. A guy from Norway, one from Scotland and another from France and a girl from Canada. Only met the Norwegian and the Scottish one last Saturday. They looked all right. The house looked nice as well. My room is really small, but there is spacious kitchen (with washing machine and dryer, microwave). Besides there is a dining room and a sitting area with television and video. There even is a small garden, so we can have barbeque in the summer. Have to pay 65 euro a week plus bills for electricity and gas. Not too bad for Cork City. Although I definitely have to find a part time job for the weekends, as I’m only getting 115 euro a week from the Energy Agency. Ireland is amazingly expensive. Anyway, mail, post-packages (Belgian chocolate: the darker the better!!!!) and the latest gossips can be send to:
Saskia Van Goethem
Saint Luke’s
7 Mount View Terrace
Ballyhooly Road
Cork City
County Cork
Ireland.
I’m moving in next Monday (the 14th), so that I can spend Paddy’s day in the big city. Looking forward to it. Although I’ll miss Julia. ‘Cause she really took care of me those first weeks. I wanted to buy her that book on Eastenders, but looks like it is sold out in every bookshop in town. Gonna buy here some ‘Winning Street’ scratch cards. She loves watching that lottery game on television and it’s always more exciting watching a game if there is maybe a very small chance that you possibly have the prospect to win something. Or not.

It’s late now. I need some sleep. Here you all soon. Enjoy the week.

Saskia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello girl ! What's up ? I had a great time watching your pictures and reading your thoughts about life in Ireland ... I'm planing to come to Ireland at the end of spring, I hope to see you there!
Big hugs !
Adeline