Friday, February 18, 2005

Monday evening

Monday evening, back from another day of work. Went not too bad. Although the morning was a bit boring. And I still felt a bit left to my fate. Cause although the conference is over now, they still have a lot of important things to do. Bill took me apart for only fifteen minutes this afternoon. Well, it went not that bad, but think I’m a bit disappointed. Have a meeting with Alex, the big boss, tomorrow. Hope it will clears up a few of my questions. Still don’t know how the financial side of the projects is going to be. Quite important.

Spend another night watching Coronation Street and East Enders. And that famous Daniel O’ Donnell man (think he’s the Irish Will Tura). -Anyway, the grandmum-side of the Irish culture doesn’t have a lot of secrets for me anymore. Think it’s high time I find me some more to me age people now -. Tried to type in the mean time, but didn’t work out very well, Julia chatting around about the characters all time. Looks like that old, misty and snowy television is her live (think she is a TV licence dodger, only three different channels, one of them with a lot of snow). But she is a nice lady, she definitely is. Sunday she drove me to Blarney. It’s a small town just between Mallow and Cork and known for its castle. Unfortunately, we only arrived around four, so I haven’t paid the seven euro to see the castle, as one hour is way too short. Met a Canadian girl last summer, who I spend the weekend with at Dingle, who told me about Blarney Castle. She was really impressed, so I think it’s worth coming back later in the year. Julia made me bacon and cabbage for sunday lunch, the real Irish stuff it was. Liked it. Wasn’t that bad at all. Although my stomach still isn’t used to all the meat. Promised me mum not putting on weight and I’m really trying me best, but it is really hard when living together with a lady who considers it as her most important task to stuff me up.

Went to Cork on saturday. It was a relief to mingle with other city people again. And the weather was gorgeous, really blue sky and about 10 degrees, witch isn’t too bad for winter, is it? There only was a strong wind, but no complains at all. Just went for some shopping. Bought a new Lonely Planet of Ireland (Laurie, you can have mine on the one condition that you’ll come to Ireland this summer) and a survival guide for immigrants in Ireland. There’s a lot of handy practical tips in it. Just wandered around the rest of the afternoon. There was a march against the new waste policy of City Cork. Not very impressive, only about a hundred people marching. Cork European Capital of Culture still has a lot of work to do, to attract people of the continent, I think. There is indeed a new bus station, the main streets look alright and the tourist information centre is well occupied, but think they have to make another huge effort to convince people like me dad to actually book a flight, get on that plane and come over for some cultural activities. Not saying that Cork isn’t worth a visit, but think it is still far behind lovely Antwerp and Ghent.

Hope I don’t make a disappointed impression to you all. Cause I’m feeling quite all right. Still have to get used to the whole Ireland thing, but till now there were no real off-days at all. Already start to feel at home here (although you must not expect me to look like the average Irish girls here, way too much make-up and way too American looking). I’m here now for seven days, but it really feels like I’m here already for a much longer time. Still have to work on my Irish accent (actually, was better for me to live in Donegal w h e re t h e y s p e a k r e a l l y s lo w).

Hope to hear you all soon ( don’ have a address yet, but post packages with Belgian chocolate and the latest Belgian gossips can be send to my office: County Cork Energy Agency, attn. Saskia Van Goethem, Spa House, Mallow, County Cork, Ireland).

No comments: